Donato Guerra No. 9   P.O. Box 30
Ajijic Jalisco 45920  Mexico
Telephone: 011 52 (376) 766-1344
Fax: 011 52 (376) 766-1444
Email:
nuevaposada@prodigy.net.mx
Email:  lanuevaposada@gmail.com


Home

Hotel Information

Location

Features

Policies

Rooms

Garden Villas

Video

Photo Gallery

Reservations

Rates

Local History

Activities

Chapala Weather

Contact Us

Version Espańol

 

 

 

LOCAL HISTORY: AJIJIC LAKE CHAPALA MEXICO

Ajijic´s history dates back to a long time before the Spanish conquest. Descendents of the ancient Nahuatl tribe established themselves around the shores of Lake Chapala.

It is said that the first Nahuatl Indian arouse from ashes on Mezcala Island, the island is now considered one of the four cardinal points in Nahuatl mythology.

Axixic in ancient nahuatl tongue means ¨Place where water is born¨ or ¨Place where water bubbles up.¨ This was mainly due to abundant natural springs of water that existed here many years ago.

Ajijic was renamed and founded by the Spaniards in 1531 and is one of the oldest villages in western Mexico. The conquest of the Chapalteco Sea as it was known back then, was accomplished by Sir Alonso Dávalos, and the conversion of natives to Christianity was the responsibility of father Fray Martín de Jesús. Thus establishing Ajijic as one of the oldest convent towns in western Mexico. The convent was originally established in honor of Saint Francis of Assisi, but at a later date Saint Andrew became our patron Saint and still is to this day.

Our cobblestone streets, the first chapel and our main church, plus a number of the old estates have a predominantly Spanish influence. It wasn't until the 1930s that Ajijic became a destination for travelers from all over the world.

One of the first to come was Ayenara Zara Alexeyewa also known as ¨La Rusa¨, a very famous Russian ballet dancer, who made Ajijic her permanent residence, as well as many others who followed in her footsteps. Because she dedicated her life to Ajijic and Lakeside,  we named our unique and distinguished restaurant "La Rusa" in her honor.